In this post I said, “As of now, I probably won’t resubmit [Edge Cases] to Apple Podcasts”.
I wasn’t going to.
But now I have.
And the details might be mildly interesting to someone.
I needed to log in to my Apple Podcasts Connect account anyway, for the sake of the podcast I’m on that we’re moving from the Incomparable.
Once I logged in, I saw the deactivated Edge Cases podcast. What the heck, I said to myself. Let’s try submitting it now that the files are back up, and see if it works.
But the only error was that we needed a larger artwork file.
Here’s the original (shrunk down so it doesn’t disrupt the flow of this article):
It’s just the title “edge cases” in white text on black, 512 by 512 pixels.
Apple’s error message said it needed to be 3,000 by 3,000 pixels.
I could have just taken the existing file and upscaled it, but I wanted to do better than that.
Whatever original art file Wolf used to generate this is lost in the seas of time. So to make a bigger version, I’d have to recreate it.
First problem: the font is unusual. I didn’t know what it was, and it didn’t appear to exist on my computer.
The Internet to the rescue! There are apparently websites out there which take an image, and spit back out the names of the fonts that are used in it.
I’m going to try not to think about how free websites like this make their money, probably by taking the image and uploading it to evil ChatGPT artwork generators, but hey, free service.
Here’s the one I used: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcherator
It told me that the font was “Gara”. Yeah, I definitely didn’t have that one already. Another Internet search told me that I could indeed download the Gara font for free from a variety of websites. The one I chose was FontZillion: https://www.fontzillion.com/fonts/iaki-marqunez/gara
(It apparently was added to FontZillion a quarter century ago.)
So, first of all, I downloaded the font files and added them to my Mac via the Font Book application.
Then I went about recreating the logo, in Acorn. I upscaled the old image into a new 3,000 x 3,000 Acorn image file, and typed in, resized, and arranged the new text until it matched as much as it was going to. If you squint at this animated gif long enough, you’ll see the minute changes that occur when I switch from the old file to the new one:
I uploaded the new file to the https://edgecases.com website with the same name as the old one, waited a bit for that change to propagate, and bam, the next time I submitted the podcast to Apple, it was accepted.